Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cricut Cake ....Finally out of the box

I finally unpacked the Cricut Cake!  I decided to try the Rock Princess cartridge for the my first Cricut Cake.   I used Betty Crocker's Super Moist Cherry Chip cake mix and baked it in 9" Wilton pans.  I spray my pans with PAM for Baking and then sprinkle flour in the pan and shake it until it covers all the PAM.  This works well for me, my cakes just pop right out.   I used the cake leveler to even out both layers.  I frosted the cake with Betty Croker Vanilla Frosting to do a crumb coat.  I let it sit in the refrig while I make my cuts with the Cricut.

I used the frosting sheets that came with the machine.  The directions say to cover the mat with shortening.   I used a brush and Cisco white block shortening.  I placed the sheet on the mat and put in the refrig for about 5 mins.  S/N:  It says you should be able to see the brush strokes through the sheet.  You can and they never go away.  If anyone has some suggestions to make that go away, please let me know.  You can see it best in the "DIVA" cut.

I realized that once you make a cut on those sheets you need to use up the whole sheet.  There is no easy way to pull off the rest of the sheet and save it for later.  I did try, but they dry out fast and get hard.  After I cut "Too Hot 2 Handle"  I cut the "Diva" phrase too, just to use up the rest of the sheet.  It cut well while it was cold, but when I tried a third cut, it starting ripping.  

After I pulled the cuts from the mat, I put them all back the refrig.  I used a gumpaste glue to put the layers together.  New problem:  You can see the glue through the sheet.  You will see in the pics.  If anyone knows what else I should use to "glue" the layers together I am open to all advice.  :)

This was a very long post, but I wanted to make sure I pass on all the good stuff I learned.  : D   Here are the pics:



Vanilla Frosting layer


Fondant layer 
 

You can see the gumpaste glue

It broke :(


Even after it dried you can still see the glue

I cut a 1" strip to go along the bottom

Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

NomNomCupcakes! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NomNomCupcakes! said...

AWESOME! I've always wanted to see how those cricut cake thingies worked! Fondant's a monster to knead, but if you add just a smidge of glycerin to soften it up without making it sticky, you should be able to reuse those fondant sheets. Also, a friend of mine actually uses marshmallow fondant in her cricut! Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more fun creations!!!

It's Craftini Time! said...

Thanks NomNom! I will try the glycerin. I saw some recipes for marshmallow fondant and I was thinking of trying it. Have you tried the Fonderific Fondant? If so, what do you think about it?

NomNomCupcakes! said...

I haven't tried using fonderific, but I guess I could give it a shot! I'll have to work up my courage though, as my first attempts with true fondant in the past were disastrous!