Sunday, October 6, 2013

Minion Earflap Crochet Hat and Beanie Pattern

I have mainly been working on crochet projects, lately.  Due to my work travel schedule the only down time I have had lately is waiting for flights that seems to always be delayed.  Since carrying my sewing machine or Cricut machine in my carry on bag is a little bulky, I starting carrying yarn to work on some crochet projects.  ;)  I have come to the point that I tried of making infinity scarves :/, so I thought I would take a stab at the ever popular earflap hats.  There are plenty of free patterns and tutorials out on the net, so I tried a few before I came a cross a good base pattern for earflap hats and beanies.  I found my biggest challenge has been to find a pattern that uses a double crochet, which works up very quickly and that the size stated in the pattern is the true size it comes out to be.  I tried a lot of patterns that said they were for adults, but ended up looking more like a child size.  I know we all crochet differently, so I figured I would just work it up a few times with different hook sizes and see how it goes.  

Since there is "Minion Fever" everywhere, there are tons of free patterns out there to try.  I ended up liking this one the best.  It only took me a couple of hours to complete the base hat.  Maybe an hour more to finish the face and braids.   I used Lion Brand in Radiant Yellow, it is the perfect Minion color and I was able to make both hats with one skein and had a some left over.  I used Loops and Threads in Clear Blue for the bottom half of the hat.  The other features were done in Black, White and left over glitter gray yarn.  They did seem to fit my head, but the pattern said it was written for a child 3-5 years old for a 20 inch head circumference.  Here is the link for the pattern:  http://chucksforchancho.com/2013/08/03/tutorial-crochet-minion-hat/


Here are my first attempt at "Stuart"the Minion hat.  ;)


I used this pattern and did not add the earflaps.  http://allicrafts.blogspot.com/2011/12/free-pattern-earflap-hat-9-12-months.html She has a ton of cute hats for newborns up to toddlers.  They work work up quickly and are very easy to read.  She also has come cute flower patterns as well.  This one was made with a 5.5 hook and it actually fit my head.  It was a little snug, I think would work.  I used Red and White Red Heart Super Saver yarn.



All my friends will probably be getting a hat and an infinity scarf for Christmas.  :D


Print Friendly and PDF

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

These are super cute.