Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sewing Pattern Organization - iPad Inventory App

I admit I have a problem when it comes to sewing patterns…every time JoAnn's has the  $0.99 sale I end up buying at least 10 patterns.  During the past year I have only finished a couple of sewing projects, so I thought I would look through my sewing patterns to find some inspiration. This is when I realized my patterns are stashed everywhere!  I figured I would make an attempt to organize them…this turned out to be a much bigger project than I thought.

Over the years I have tried to come up with a good solution to keep an inventory of my patterns.  I have visited many blogs for ideas, but since I  do not have a dedicated sewing/craft room, most of the wonderful ideas will not work for me.

But, I had to start somewhere, so I began sorting the patterns and this is when I realized I have SEVERAL duplicates of many patterns.  In the past I have tried to organize my patterns using an Excel spreadsheet, but I never kept it current.

While looking for cool, new iPad apps I discovered there is an app to inventory your sewing patterns.  It is a little pricey ($8.99), but I decided to bite the bullet and buy it.  It is called Sewing Kit HD.  You can check it out here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sewing-kit-hd/id503845806?mt=8 

I have started entering some patterns and I found some nice features, but also the app has a few bugs.  I am still working on entering all my patterns and I have found the directions/help is very minimal.  When I am complete I will write a follow up post and maybe even a video on how to use some of the features.

Here is a screen shot for the developers website:


Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments: