Saturday, October 31, 2015

Fear the Spartans!! Glass block and vinyl project

I'm kinda late with this post...  I made this glass block before the Michigan/Michigan State game a couple of weeks ago.  What a great game!?!?!  Mostly cause we won...#GoGreen !!  Ok...back on topic.  I recently starting cutting vinyl with my Cricut, I know I'm extra late on that front too.  I only cut paper with my Cricut, I was always to scared to waste the vinyl, since I really wasn't sure what I was doing.  But, when I starting using the Cricut Explorer and the cuts were so much cleaner, I figured it was time to take the plunge.

I started by purchasing a couple of phones cases and tumblers from the The Dollar Tree store.

 


I Googled the image of the Spartan and brought it into Design Space (DS) and it worked great.  I made the monogram with the Monogram It App.  It is an iPhone app that costs $0.99.  You can create all types of monograms, email them to yourself and then bring it into DS.  It worked GREAT!  So worth the 99 cents.


I bought the block at Hobby Lobby it is 8x8.  I created a square and sized it at 6.71.  Next time I think I will make it a tad bit smaller, probably around 6.6 or 6.5.  I found the font free online at Font Space.




I added some lights from Hobby Lobby.  After having it on for awhile I thought it would look better frosted.



I used the Krylon Frosted Glass Finish I purchased at Ace Hardware HERE.  It worked great and was easy to apply.  There is also YouTube video I watched that was helpful HERE.  I did frost it after I applied the vinyl.  Based on all the tutorials out there, it was recommended to frost after the vinyl is applied.

I like it much better frosted.  I am planning on making a Halloween bloc, so stay tuned.  So, not a great pic.



Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

The Art of Being Kelcified said...

They all look great!
I have yet to venture into cutting vinyl as well. I really like the idea of purchasing some cheap items from the dollar store to try things out on.

I love my Cricut Expression but it bugs out occasionally. Do you think it is worth the upgrade to the Explorer?

I actually have not used Design Space yet. I have a Gypsy and play around with that very rarely. Between school and work, I have little time to really sit down and learn these things. I bet they're very helpful tools to use though.

Marla said...

I really like the Explorer. I also had the Expression for years and I had a hard time adjusting to just using Design Space and no cartridges, so I put off using the Exploere. But, I do feel I get a much clean cut with the Explorer and if you would like to cut vinyl I would definitely purchase it. The holiday sales are coming up, this would be a good time to purchase it.